We woke up nice and early for our day on the Westman Islands. We drove to Landeyjahofn which is where the ferry docks and checked in for the 35 minute ferry ride over. We decided to bring our vehicle over with us as we wanted to be able to explore the island after our guided tour. I had booked a tour several months earlier called The Puffin & Volcano Tour through Eyja Tours. Once we arrived on the main island which is called Heimaey we parked our car and headed over to the tour office. We boarded our tour van/bus and headed off with Ebbi (our tour guide). He drove us around the island while narrating through a speaker system. We stopped at many places along the way, learning about the culture and the sites. What was great was that we got an overview of the island so that later on we could go back to some of the places that we wanted to spend some more time in. All in all we really enjoyed the tour and the best part was...we got to meet and interact with Toti the puffin!
We went inside of a volcano...very awesome.
We were able to see all the different colors of the lava rock...
There were beautiful sheep everywhere you looked...
I had to stop for a while to observe them and of course take lots of pictures.
Some of them didn't want to be bothered. But a few of them were curious.
I was so in love with the lupine fields...
I could have stayed there all day just relaxing and taking in the beauty.
After exploring the stave church and the surrounding areas we headed into the small town. We stopped in a few shops and then went over to GOTT restaurant for lunch. A really nice spot to have a bite to eat; great atmosphere and decor. And the food was delicious. When we were finished we headed back to the harbor to board our ferry back to mainland Iceland.
HERE ARE SOME TIPS:
- When you book your ferry tickets online you still need to go inside the ferry terminal building and go to the counter so they can print up your actual boarding tickets for the ferry
- If you are bringing your vehicle over with you...only the driver will remain in the car as you bring it onto the ferry. All other passengers will walk onto the ferry through the building as "walk on passengers"
- The ferry building had some vending machines and the ferry itself has food/drinks available for purchase
- As you are approaching the Westman Islands try to get outside on the decks so you can take in the view...it's magnificent!
- Wear good walking/hiking shoes...in fact, wear them everyday in Iceland! The terrain is rugged and made for adventure
- Bring a windbreaker...and any additional clothing you may need. Research the weather. Iceland is windy! And having the windbreakers was perfect, especially if you stop at the windiest place in Europe like we did on our tour!
- Pack a backpack with water, energy bars, chapstick, sunscreen, Tylenol/Motrin, extra socks, hat/gloves, etc. Plan ahead to be prepared!
~ Day 3 to follow! Thank you for visiting! ~